On Shabbat afternoon, just after 5:30 PM, a baby choked on candy in his house in Ramat Beit Shemesh. His parents immediately alerted emergency services.

United Hatzalah volunteer EMT Avi Nafoussi, who lives in the building next door, was at home when he received an alert on his communications device about the emergency. Nafoussi rushed out of his house and ran to the location, arriving on the scene in under a minute. Entering the house, he found a baby, about a year old, who was unconscious, not breathing, and without a pulse. 

Nafoussi gently took the baby, placed him on the table, and initiated CPR, joined shortly after by United Hatzalah volunteer EMTs Moshe Horowitz and Yanky Krishevsky. Together with a physician who came to assist, they continued resuscitation efforts, taking turns performing chest compressions and providing the child with assisted ventilation. 

After a short time, the responders breathed a sigh of relief as the baby began breathing independently. The baby was transported to the hospital for further care and observation. 

“It’s a miracle that was only possible thanks to the technology that was able to locate me and send me to the call, allowing me to arrive within seconds,” recalled Nafoussi after the incident. “I’m so glad that I was able to save his life.”