On Monday at around 2:30 p.m., a 60-year-old man sitting on a chair in a subterranean parking garage in Tel Aviv suddenly lost consciousness and keeled over. To the horror of the surrounding people, the man was completely unresponsive. They called emergency services for help.

WhatsApp Image 2022 06 07 at 12.46.52 PM 1 193x300 2
Max Hockley alongside his UH e-bike

Max Hockley, a volunteer EMT with United Hatzalah, was meeting up with a friend when he received the emergency alert. Max and his friend were sitting on the steps outside of a local library, they were about to leave were saying their goodbyes, when Max’s phone went off letting him to the emergency occurring nearby. “Luckily, I had my electric bicycle from the organization with my medical kit with me. I always try to bring it on any errands I go on in case I get called to help someone. I am completely supportive and enthusiastic about my mission to save lives; I never want to miss out on an opportunity to help someone.”


Max flicked on the lights and sirens, strapped on his helmet, and headed to the location pinned on his navigation system. “As I was driving, I saw an ambulance coming fast down the street behind me,” recalled Max. “Ambulances rushing to emergencies drive fast, but this one was extremely fast. I assumed that this emergency was not life-threatening because it was a generic call, the kind that I receive fairly often. However, upon seeing this ambulance, I got nervous and realized that this emergency may be one of those where minutes make the difference between life and death.”


Max accelerated to catch up with the ambulance that was now ahead of him and saw a worker waving them down at the entrance to a subterranean garage. The EMT followed and drove deeper and deeper into the garage to where the unconscious person lay.


As Max arrived, he saw a police officer on the ground leaning over the patient already performing CPR. Max dismounted from his bike and approached them. The man had no pulse and was not breathing. Max waited for instructions from the paramedic heading the ambulance team who was getting the equipment ready. Max got out the bag valve mask and oxygen tank as per his instructions. He then took a pair of sheers and removed the clothes on the patient because they pose a disturbance when performing CPR. Max switched out the EMT performing chest compressions and the team gathered around to assist with the resuscitative operations. The team worked together for more than 30 minutes.


Thankfully, the team succeeded at bringing back the man’s pulse. They continued to stabilize him and by the time the patient was transferred into the ambulance for transport, the team of first responders detected a strong and steady pulse in the patient. After the intense but successful resuscitation, the medical team, including Max, was ecstatic.


“It is a great feeling to help save a life,” Max said. “I want to add that every action in a CPR effort is important. For example today, while the team was inserting IVs, I ran over to the medic bag, pulled out the needle disposal container, and brought it over so that it would be ready when it was needed. This is something that is really mundane and seemingly not a big deal, yet it was something that I have learned from previous instances where I was performing CPR that often gets overlooked. There is no need for everyone to waste precious time and go scrambling looking for it. I learned from the previous time, and this time I did it in advance so as to avoid wasting precious seconds needed to treat the patient. Sometimes the smallest acts make a big difference.”

To support the lifesaving work of United Hatzalah volunteers such as Max, please click here: